Renewing or replacing your green card

Your Permanent Resident Card (the so-called “green” card, also abbreviated as “ARC”), is a very important document. You should keep it safe at all times.

A lost ARC can hinder your travel plans and can even prevent you from obtaining a job. In addition, a lost ARC will almost always trigger a “secondary inspection,” the next time that you enter the USA at a Port of Entry. A secondary inspection can delay your travel plans for many, many hours.

Your ARC is valid for a maximum of ten (10) years. This does not mean that you cease to be a Legal Permanent Resident when your ARC expires. It does mean, however, that you must renew your ARC in a timely fashion to avoid disruption to your work or travel plans.

File Form I-90 to renew or replace your card. If your ARC is going to expire, you should file Form I-90 at least ninety (90) days prior to the expiration of your card, in order to avoid any disruption to your work or travel plans. It is your responsibility to renew your Alien Registration Card in a timely fashion; the US government will not remind you.

To obtain Form I-90 click here

If you have questions, or if you would like help filling out and filing the I-90, please contact Fong & Aquino at 626.577.8020

Contact Us - Consultations by Appointment Only
Contact form