Is your passport ready?

AIR TRAVELERS: As of 23 January 2007, ALL persons – including US citizens and Legal Permanent Residents – traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean region must present a passport or other acceptable travel document to enter or re-enter the United States. Please also note that children, even infants, should have their own, individual travel documents.

PASSPORTS FOR US CITIZENS: For US citizens who wish to apply for a passport, please see the website for the Passport Agency of the US Department of State.

LAND AND SEA TRAVELERS: Beginning on 31 January 2008, U.S. and Canadian citizens will need to present an acceptable travel document; or a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, plus proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate. Oral declarations of citizenship and status will no longer be acceptable for entry.

ACCEPTABLE TRAVEL DOCUMENTS: For citizens of the USA, Canada, Bermuda and Mexico, the following documents are accepted forms of identification:

  • U.S. citizens: Most US citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry must have either a US passport; a US passport card; a trusted traveler card such as NEXUS, FAST, or SENTRI; a valid Merchant Mariner Document (MMD) when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or a valid U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders. In the future, alternative documents may be approved for entry purposes.

  • Canadian citizens: May present a valid passport issued by the Government of Canada, or a valid trusted traveler program card such as NEXUS or FAST.
  • Bermudan citizens: May present a passport issued by the Government of Bermuda or the United Kingdom.
  • Mexican citizens: As under current entry requirements, Mexican nationals, regardless of age, must present a passport issued by the Government of Mexico and a visa, or a valid Form DSP-150, B-1/B-2 laser visa (Border Crossing Card).

For additional information about entry documents, please see the website for the US Department of Homeland Security.

SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES: For certain, very limited circumstances, other documents may be acceptable. Examples of such circumstances include:

  • US citizens on round-trip cruise ship voyages that originate and end in the US,
  • US and Canadian citizen children under 16 as well as children ages 18 and under traveling in designated groups,
  • Alien Members of the US Armed Forces and Members of NATO-Member Armed Forces,
  • Members of certain Native American and First Nations tribes.

If you believe that one of these special circumstances applies to you, you should consult the Department of Homeland Security Website:

GETTING A VISA TO VISIT THE USA: please remember that visitors to the United States may need a visa. For information about the appropriate visa for a foreign visitor, please contact Romben Law, APC at 626.577.8020 for a consultation.

Contact Us - Consultations by Appointment Only
Contact form